Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What To Do Before and After You Lose a Job

Penelope S. Tzougros, Ph.D., ChFC, CLU explains it well as she brings up points that you might take for granted and may have ignored as part of living.

"No matter how secure you think your job is, every once in a while you should conduct a "fire drill" and go over your own safe exit strategy. Don't wait for rumors about lay off at your company. Be aware of the conditions of other companies in your industry and your state. Here are some ABC's for staying flexible like the trees that make it through storms.

These make perfect sense.
  1. Asses your job skills
  2. Asses your strengths
  3. Acknowledge your deficiencies
  4. Figure out which ones could get you fired
  5. Decide what to fix

I think it is easy to criticize oneself as we think we are perfect. I love "constructive criticism" but its hard to acknowledge your weaknesses...forget working on them :) But it sure becomes critical when you have a family to feed. So its best to follow the advice given by the experts in the field like Ms. Tzougros.

She also says that "Be aware of your spending habits. Before any crisis hits, you should know how much money you really need to live on. That must include saving for days when you have no work, and paying on your debts."

I think we should all do this - "Don't carry more credit card debt than you can pay off in three months."

When she mentions about staying connected with people I have seen that it REALLY WORKS. What works is to "NEVER BURN BRIDGES"....however much you feel that you want to get back after you have been let go...don't go around saying bad stuff about the people or company...remember if you were let go it was no a "good fit" for both.

I think this article is a good read. Link
Copyright ©2003 Wealthy Choices

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very quіckly this site wіⅼl be famous amid alⅼ
blog users, due to іt's nice articles or reviews
vіѕit our website : Top Encryption Software Tips! & 3
Тοols Υou Mսst Have To How To Encгypt A Password For Free

Anonymous said...

Keep on wгiting, great joƄ!
discover this info here : 3 Ways To Ιmpгove Encryption Software
& Six Surprisingly Effective Ways To How To Encrypt A Password For Free

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your site by the use of Google even as searching for a comparable topic, your site got here up, it appears to
be like great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply was aware of your weblog via Google, and located
that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out
for brussels. I will be grateful if you happen to continue this in future.
Numerous other people will likely be benefited out of your writing.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog.

He used to be entirely right. This publish actually made my day.
You can not imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank
you!

Anonymous said...

Article writing is also a excitement, if you be acquainted
with after that you can write otherwise it is complicated to write.

Anonymous said...

What's up to all, the contents present at this web page are genuinely remarkable for people experience,
well, keep up the nice work fellows.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This blog post couldn't be written any better!
Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept talking about this. I am going to send this information to
him. Fairly certain he's going to have a great read.
I appreciate you for sharing!