Friday, October 20, 2006

Sink Or Swim by Milo & Thuy Sindell

Sometimes I come across a book that really intrigues me. This one - SINK OR SWIM by Milo Sindell, Thuy Sindell really hit home. Some of my friends whose kids are about to enter the work place are full of enthusiasm but no real step-by-step guidance. After reading this book I thought I would share it with the newbies in the job market and with all of you who want to make that transition to a new one. It is one of the best resources for 10 bucks !

I have already kept it in my library for my daughter who will need this soon. I am a believer that "Forewarned is Forearmed" Some of the things highlighted in this book that I liked are the week-by-week resource to help you find and keep the job. Learning about and having the right tools under your belt makes all the difference. Most of all I loved their writing style. It is casual and yet goal oriented.

The 5 Sink or Swim skills that they highlight in the book you probably have heard or read about them in your career. But let me tell you they have really made the "job", of finding and keeping a job very.... strategic. Here ae their 5 Sink or Swim Skills.
  1. Goal Setting
  2. Time Management
  3. Knowledge Management
  4. Team Player
  5. Professional Image

Just like Milo said " Whether you are fresh on the job or a more experienced work force veteran, Sink or Swim offers you the resources and a week-by-week guide for how to apply each skill."


J. Levitt of CA writes "At last, a practical step-by-step manual for mastering the new job. Writing with energy, style, and conciseness, the authors have come up with a first rate guide for making a splash (pun intended) at your new company. Their advice is broken up into bite-sized pieces: a really doable action plan for each week of the first 3 months on the job. I wish someone had given me something like this when I was first starting out; however, I'm planning on using it the next time I change jobs. It really ought to be handed out in new hire orientations; it would be good both for the company and the newbie."

No comments: