DoSomething.org is a community of people wanting to make a change in the world. Their website is a community where young people learn, listen, speak, vote, volunteer, ask, and take action to make the world a better place. Currently, only 23% of this generation actively volunteers. Our hope is to create a do something generation: a world where more than 51% of young people are involved with community action.
This website gives people like you and me a place to connect, a place to be inspired, be supported, be celebrated. They have harnessed the connectivity of the Internet to help young people change the world. They believe that young people have the power to make a difference. It is their aim to inspire, support and celebrate a generation of do-ers: people who see the need to do something, believe in their ability to get it done, and then take action.
They are giving out the BRICK AWARDS on the CW on April 12th 2007
You can vote : on which of these world-changers deserves a 2007 Golden BRICK Award® and an extra $15,000 for their cause.
There are 12 Finalists in 4 Categories
- Ruth DeGolia - Links Latin America's most rural and economically disadvantaged women's cooperatives to the US market.
- Kimmie Weeks - Survivor of the Liberian Civil War who vowed to help children in war torn countries.
- Cheryl Perera -Put herself on the line by posing as a decoy to catch a pedophile in Sri Lanka.
Education & Environment
- Ashley Rhodes-Courter - Raises awareness about poor conditions in foster care
- William Hwang -Teaches underpriveleged student Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM).
- Kelly Voigt - Safety advocate who has reached thousands of kids.
- David Fajgenbaum - Started a network of students to support each other through times of bereavement.
- Jennifer Staple - Bringing vision and curbing preventable eye disease worlwide
- Jennifer Zwilling -Is an advocate for understanding and acceptance.
- Divine Bradley - Converted his home into a community center, giving kids in tough neighborhoods an alternative to crime.
- Hannah Taylor - Speaks out all over Canada about homeless people and how to help them.
- Jacob Komar - Obtains discarded computers, teaches prison inmates how to refurbish them and distributes them to local needy.